Literacy Systems AmeriCorps Member, Start Date - 08/30/2021
This is a national public service opportunity--a year-long, full-time, paid volunteer opportunity. Requires full-time commitment (M-F; 9-5)
The Literacy Systems AmeriCorps VISTA member seeks primarily to build the capacity of the Reading Check Up (RCU) program--an initiative of Literacy Mid-South, Stand for Children, and Learning Ovations. This community-wide literacy resource provides families with the tools to identify targeted activities that meet a student’s specific reading needs. The Literacy Systems (LS) AmeriCorps VISTA member will build the base of families exposed to and using Read Memphis as well as the capacity of partner organizations to support families in the use of Reading Check Up. The LS AmeriCorps VISTA will also work with LMS partners to build and utilize systems such as a Libib online library.
Objectives of the Service Term
- Assess the current logistical capacity of LMS’s literacy systems.
- Assess policies, procedures, and documents related to partnerships that define LMS’s literacy systems.
- Build the capacity of Literacy Mid-South and partner organizations to recruit and onboard families to Reading Checkup.
- Set-up outreach systems and build partnerships with community members to develop targeted marketing materials for RCU.
- Build the capacity of Literacy Mid-South and partners to measure and report the impact of LMS literacy systems.
- Build the capacity of Literacy Mid-South’s partner organizations to build and manage physical libraries through the Libib system.
- Ensure sustainability of work completed during the service year through documentation, conversations, and training.
- Project Management
- Big Picture Thinking
- Technology Savvy
- Community Organization
- General Skills
- Car recommended
If you are interested in serving with Literacy Mid-South & the OST team, please apply through our AmeriCorps Service Opportunity.