Emmanuel Center Reading Program Developer AmeriCorps Member, Start Date - 03/15/2021
This is a one (1) year-long volunteer opportunity. VISTA members receive a stipend set at a "poverty wage".
The Reading Program Developer AmeriCorps Member seeks to increase reading proficiency among targeted groups of children in low-income areas as well as to encourage the participation of parents in order to provide a comprehensive structure of supports for the whole family at the Emmanuel Center (EC). Research has demonstrated the benefit of quality OST literacy instruction for elementary students. Aligned with our county's school districts and a network of partners, Literacy Mid-South seeks improve third grade reading proficiency throughout Shelby County--but especially in the underserved areas of the city of Memphis.
Objectives of the Service Term
- Assess the current state of Emmanuel Center (EC)’s efforts in providing high-quality out-of-school time programming and engaging the unique needs of the community in order to develop a community engagement plan.
- Develop or revise materials and resources needed to provide quality training on the policies and procedures specific to the Student Information System.
- Implement the Reading Attitude Survey (RAS) and begin to craft an implementation process for incorporating the RAZ into Emmanuel Center's programming.
- Increase the effectiveness of literacy instruction within the organization's programs.
- Develop or revise materials and resources to improve reading comprehension skills as measured by the LMS Reading A-Z (RAZ) Assessment.
- Project Management
- Youth Development
- Navigating Social Media
- Big Picture Thinking
- Technology Savvy
- Relationship Builder
- Analytical Thinking
- Curriculum Building
If you are interested in serving with Literacy Mid-South & the OST team, please navigate to our AmeriCorps service opportunity to apply.